Having extra pounds can definitely put one’s health at risk. Not doing anything about it can obviously lead to a shortened lifespan due to a higher likelihood of heart disease, hypertension, cancer, or type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, the number of people becoming either overweight or obese is increasing in Australia especially among men, thus posing a significant health problem. A study claims that at least 42% of adult Australian men are overweight. Although being overweight or obese can be traced to genetics or physiological incapacities, it is influenced by the type of food people eat and the kind of lifestyle they are in. This is why you need to lose weight; not only will you be shedding pounds, but you are also committing yourself to a healthier disposition in life.
Because an increased body weight is directly related to the occurrence of health problems in the future, it is imperative that you consider weight loss. Of course, to help you with your weight loss efforts, it is important that you focus on these two important aspects: eating a healthy diet and engaging in physical activity. On one hand, you should be eating fewer portions during meals, as well as focus on eating the right type of food and doing away with the bad stuff like saturated fats and added sugars.
For more information about losing weight through diet and exercise, here are some fitness and health tips you should consider:
- Drink plenty of water. Not only will this keep you hydrated when you exercise, but it will also help you feel full, thus lowering the intake of calories. Generally, 64 ounces of water is recommended, but it could be more or less depending on your needs.
- Avoid salty foods. The sodium content of salt is what makes you gain more weight, not to mention feel bloated after eating. With salt, you feel the need to drink more water, as well as the need to eat more. Processed foods should be avoided, or any food item with high sodium content, and go for fresh, organic products. You may want to eat more sea foods. You can buy oysters and other fishes online if you don’t have the time to visit the fish market.
- When you do exercise, try doing interval training. For example, when you go out to exercise, you start by going with your normal pace (e.g. walking for 5 minutes), and then increasing the intensity (e.g. running for 5 minutes). Doing these alternately is not only time-efficient, but is also a productive way to lose those pounds. When you buy oysters or any other healthy food, you should not forget about working out. While those foods are healthy, you still need to sweat out the extra calories. You can apply interval training in your strength training routine, not just in your cardio or aerobic exercise.
- Eat slowly. Chew every bite at least 10 times before digesting it. Those who eat like they are in a hurry tend to eat more, which further increases weight gain.
- Remember that you are making this a lifelong commitment. Indeed, patience and consistency are important to ensure better fitness and likelihood of success in your weight loss goals. Results won’t just come along in a matter of one day or one week, but as long as you are consistent with your diet plan and your exercise routine, you will notice considerable changes in your physique and your weight.
If you want to have healthier body, sounder mind, and improved self-esteem, then following these tips should be your go-to step. With discipline and commitment to lose weight, you will surely live a healthier and happier life.