Community events present a great opportunity for people to come together. From festivals and sports to activities and 5ks community, events have a huge range on which it can be based. But with so many events and activities going on around, it can be challenging to make your event stand out.
Herein comes the need for the promotion of the community event without which no attendees can turn up at the event. In fact, community event promotion is more or less like gardening. You start with the sowing of the ideas and if you are unable to fertilize it right with the right kind of promotion, they won’t survive to see the light of the day.
Forethoughts, time, good communication skills and planning – all are required for promoting your event. You must create a great relationship with the media outlets and potential attendees with an easy to understand information stream.
Fortunately, there are some simple and freeways by following which you can promote the community event. Just take a look.
- Go for a Plan that Involves Measurable Outcomes -This is the first thing to consider because you can easily skip the promotion and ditch your planning as it is too tempting especially if you are on a tight deadline. If you don’t have a plan you won’t be able to gauge whether you are on the course that will help you accomplish your goals. Having a plan is a must if you want to have a strategy in place with tangible goals. You should also include the measurable goals within the plan. Moreover, having a strategy also helps to brainstorm what is to be accomplished like making 6 customers refer to 3 friends each.
- Build a Media Kit – You must create a solid media kit that can just be the press release and a handful of clicks on the CD. You can also have a “ready to run” piece of video and the finished articles that the media outlets can use. You can also create an event website and post the online media kit on that website. This makes it easier for journalists to pick up the things that they need for promoting the event online.
- Promote the Event Using the Event Listings and Online Calendars – People within the community use the online search engines for finding out the events that are occurring within the community. Getting the information in the primary event listings can assist in increasing attendance and awareness. These are free resources that you can use by sending info to the editor of the site or by populating the things on your own. It is essential that you submit the event details to the calendars as early as possible. You should check with the local editors to make sure that there is enough time for submitting the event listing.
- Use the Social Media – You should set up the Facebook fan page for the community events part from Twitter. You should know that promoting on social media can take up a lot of time and that is why you should try and build a fan-base a few months before the event is scheduled for. You can also keep the individuals apprised for the last-minute changes of the event through social media.
- Take Advantage of the Local Newspaper – On the basis of the space that is available your local newspaper can enlist the events within the local community even for free. You just have to contact the editorial team and inform them that you want to make an event announcement through their newspaper. This is one of the greatest and simplest ways to go in front of the local newspaper and highlight the what, who, when, where and why of the event.
- Advertise Your Event – For community events that are not large-scale, all the organizers have to think about affordable ways for planning, organizing and promoting the event. So just like opting for conference chair hire you also have to resort to the pocket-friendly ways of advertising like the fliers or notices on the bulletin boards of the area. These are low-tech methods for reaching the locals in public places like community centers, grocery stores, and laundromats.
The above are some of the ways for promoting community events so that you can achieve maximum attendees and your event turns out to be a success.